Cheat Grass 6-25-24

 6-25-24 POBR


A silent moment, carried by the wind, hosted by the stream we’ve found peace at. Under the impression of a soft and easy day, we all woke up late. Slept in and ate warm oatmeal and cafe. Made our lunches and washed our dishes. And in no need of a rush we fell upon our next site of inquiry, The Wallawalla Fishery. It was a beautiful habitat that TeLa __ and John __ found themselves stewarding. The Wallawalla River was healthy and strong, chalked full of nutrients for any one of its inhabitants. A lush blanket of golden cheat, invaded by a tall thorny emerald (the scotch thistle of their dead grass plains). Inside the fishery is where the fun began, post cheat grass plucking. We learned so much from the manager of the fishery, Jason Thomas, truly a man of value that the Wallawalla Fishery has gladly claimed. Our mission was simply to observe and ask questions. I’ve never seen fish so big, but Sandy, Virginia, and Ilene were calling them babies. How to identify a domestic salmon: look for the price tag, it should be missing. I ended up skipping over from marine life to vegetation as we made our way to The Wallawalla Nursery. My job was simple, pack dirt into the just weeded pots of soil, but my armpits chafed and now the plants have left their brand on me. The small energy and repeatable actioned trabajando felt so satisfying it felt like an accomplishment each time I loaded a perfectly filled potted plant. Their sagebrush demanded space so we spread them out and gave them a good shower, they demanded an unsystematic layout one of which I was happy to comply to. Gail Redberg was so pleased that she let us off, and we then pleased our stomachs with delicious delicacies delivered by Monette. I love her cooking so much and it reminds me of my mom every time. We had our science time and I decided to isolate as many different variables of my cultured bacterial specimens onto my agar plates. I think something I realized today was how little time I give myself the comfort of silence. 


Calmness By The Creek


(Graphite drawing of a still tree, log, bush, and cat tails by the creek.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beaver People 6-17-24

Intuitive Geology 6-23-24

Pumice Moonwort 6-21-24